Monday, October 27, 2008

Quilting a plate of Sushi :)






Twenty girls including myself got together and made an Okinawa Memory Quilt. Each girl chose something that reminded them of Okinawa, designed a quilt square, and made 20 of them! We then got together and exchanged all of our squares. So at the end I ended up with 20 different squares. Here is what some of the girls did: geta shoes, sanshin, kokeshi dolls, goya, kimono, whale shark, map of Okinawa, and goya. I made a Sushi Platter!!


It was a lot of hard work but it paid off in the end. Now I need to learn how to piece a quilt together!? My goal is to finish it by the time I leave the Island. Rick thinks it will never get done. Blah, Blah, Blah.... :)

5 comments:

MARTHA said...

Maybe you can work on it when you come to California. It's hard to do a project when you have to get your sewing machine out and then turn around and put it away. It takes up valuable sewing time. These days mine is set up all the time in my big closet so you can work on it in snatches of time. Good Luck! Rick's comparing you to me. I never would have got it done, but you're already farther ahead than me. You've got 20 quilt blocks. YAY!

Lisa said...

That will be so cool when you get it all done! What a great idea.

Cathryn said...

Yay! I am thrilled to see you post. :) Your square was awesome; so perfectly done.

Round 2 here we go!

Angie said...

Yay, Wendy!! I love this! Lalon loved your square (as did I)... he kept looking at it over and over again - amazed at how 3D it was. :) You did a great job. Can't wait to see the next ones.

Carrie said...

Super cute, Wendy. What a great idea. Looks like you're surrounded by some mega-crafty women. I was so excited to see you post on my blog. Thanks! And even more excited that you'll be around for Christmas. We weren't planning on being in Lancaster, but maybe plans can change!!!